The Central Archives of the October revolution of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic (BSSR) was established on May 28, 1927. The archives was moved from Minsk to Mogilev in 1930.
In July 1932 the Central Archives of the October revolution of the BSSR was reorganized into the Central State Archives of the October revolution and Socialist Development of the BSSR.
In 1941 activity of the archives was suspended in connection with German occupation of Belarus during the Great Patriotic War. In January 1944 the archives resumed activity and moved to Minsk in July 1944.
In May 1993 the Central State Archives of the October revolution and Socialist Development of the BSSR was renamed the Belarusian State Archives.
In June 1995 the archives was reorganized into the National Archives of the Republic of Belarus after obtaining of documents from the former Central Party Archives of the Communist Party of Belarus.
From February 2001 the archives has the name “Public institution “The National Archives of the Republic of Belarus”.
At present the National Archives of the Republic of Belarus have the following structural departments:
- Documents and funds safekeeping department
- Office work, departmental archives and acquisition department
- Personal funds department
- Automatized archival technologies department
- Information retrieval system department
- Department of scientific and technical editing of documents
- Department of scientific application of documents and information
- Documents publication department